Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Weaned...

It's been a long time coming but William is finally done nursing.  Our breastfeeding journey together has ended in part due to lack of interest anymore and (mostly) because of my lack of supply.  I am so happy to have made it to a year.  Although I understand the difficulties so many face, William was a master nurser from the beginning.  We both learned quickly and had minimal hurdles at the beginning.  Definite supply issues from the start and a few bouts of mastitis couldn't stop us from moving on.  I made it through pumping at work and have actually never spent a night away from lil' man (I think this calls for a vacation, right?). 

Over the past few weeks, William has been a little (ok, a lot) less interested.  We were finally down to morning and night feedings (wohoo to no more pumping at work!).  Then we were down to just mornings.  Then, one morning, he just decided he was finished. 

I know it was the right time for us and I'm happy to have made it this long.  I'm sure he doesn't notice much of a difference and doesn't notice the transition.  So why am I sad?  I have mixed feelings of sadness and relief.  Although it's nice to not have to worry about where I'll be and timing feedings and worrying about supply and dealing with mastitis or teething, it breaks my heart to lose some of those cuddles and bonding we shared.  It also reminds me that he's growing up... [sigh]....



3 comments:

tv said...

Congrats on making it to a year! It's not a feat a lot of women accomplish these days, especially with the challenge of pumping. You rock!

PhaseThreeOfLife said...

Congrats on making it so long!! You definitely deserve a vaca. Great job, mama.

Kelsey K. Anderson said...

awwww, now I have tears! great job, Steph, I know how hard you worked at it! I think we will be there, too, soon, sniff sniff, so I know exactly what you mean.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails