Friday, February 18, 2011

My favorite time of day

Morning - my favorite time of day.  I wake up (after about 3 snoozes on my alarm) and I sneak a peak at my baby boy, sleeping peacefully in his crib.  Shower, dress, pack lunch and get everything ready to leave for work. 

Then the day begins. 

I tiptoe into lil' man's room and pick him up.  He reaches his arms up to stretch and as I pull him to my chest, he sticks his little butt up in the air, like babies do.  While he's still half asleep, I change him.  Then I nurse him.  I don't turn on the TV.  I don't look at my phone.  I don't think about work.  I don't think about what I need to do after I get off work or tomorrow or next week.  I just nurse him and admire him.  His eyes are still closed and he makes a squeak here and there while eating.  He moves his fingers around and taps my breast.  He's mine...all mine.  He's the most beautiful thing that my eyes have ever seen.  How could I have been so arrogant to think I even had a clue what this would feel like before I was a mother.  My heart explodes.

I place him back in his crib until he wakes up for daddy to start his day with him.  Then the day moves ahead at fast forward speed as I head to work and when I get off, more 'stuff' to do.  But for those 30 minutes or so...just nursing and cuddling with my guy, nothing else matters.....

5 comments:

Mom said...

Sure, make your mother cry! When you had little bit, I knew that you could finally understand what being a mother is all about. I have always told you that there is no greater love than a mother's love and now you can understand! I pray that William will grow up to make you as proud as you have made me! Your love will continue to grow as he does. It is truly amazing!

Not a Perfect Mom said...

lovely...and so true...
I always worried that I wouldn't feel the same way when the 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th came...but you never get over that time

PhaseThreeOfLife said...

Beautiful post. I couldn't have said it better. My heart aches when I look at my little guy, and I just hope he has some sense of how much he is loved. I feel like it radiates out of me, so surely he must have some idea that I think he's pretty great! :)

Jaclyn said...

This is so, so sweet, Steph :)

caryl.mqt said...

This brought tears to my eyes, Steph! I'm not surprised it made your Mom cry. I am so happy for you. Such incredible joy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails