Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The curse of the "I can't wait"

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." ~John Lennon

"I can't wait until this weekend."  "I can't wait until summer."  "I can't wait until I get married."  I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait...

How many times do we all look ahead at what is to come instead of sitting back and taking in all of the wonderful things around us in the NOW?  I am regularly guilty of this and have been consciously making an effort to live in the moment instead of always looking ahead.

When I was pregnant and right after lil' man was born, I felt like everyone around me kept telling me how fast time flies once you have a kid.  I've already noticed that it's so easy to look ahead when it comes to lil' man.  I can't wait until he is walking.  I can't wait until he can talk.  I can't wait until we can take him to the zoo and he can make animal sounds.  I can't wait until we can take him to his first football game.  It's so easy to do.  Whether I realize it or not, I'm wishing away the time we have now.  I'm focusing on what is to come instead of what my sweet boy is right now - savoring every second as he clumsily reaches for my fingers or a toy, or how his eyes light up with curiosity at the mere site of a ceiling fan.  Enjoying every second that he smiles in excitement when he sees his daddy's or my face.  Taking in his baby sounds and smells.  I'm working to enjoy and focus on the wonders of an ordinary day...diaper changes, cuddles, head butts from a five month old that I think might have broken my  nose, bath time, story time or baby talk. 

1 comment:

PhaseThreeOfLife said...

I have totally become more conscious of this, too! I try really hard not to say "I can't wait till..." because that phrase cheapens the awesomeness of Right Now. Thanks for the reminder!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails