Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Disappearing Belly Button and Other Changes

So there is slowly a growing list of changes that are affecting my body.  Some are completely stereotypical and expected....some others, not so much.
Here are just a few of the things that have been changing or I have been learning:

  • My belly button is strangely disappearing - I figured this would happen much later in pregnancy. So far, it's become super shallow and small. I'm waiting for it to 'pop' and become an outie.
  • I've learned you can see movement on the sonogram. I had no idea. When you look at an ultrasound photo, it seems like such a basic image/technology. Last week, we could see William moving around like crazy in there. And there is so much movement I can't even feel. It was just amazing to be able to see our baby moving around - it made it feel more "real".
  • I have a very noticeable linea nigra (dark line) on my belly now. I didn't really notice since I can't exactly look down and see it directly. I noticed it in the mirror about two weeks ago and called Adam to look - his response: "Oh, yeah, I've noticed that for awhile now." Hmm....I was a little behind.
  • Crossing my fingers I can hold off on any stretch marks until as late as possible....none so far....just waiting....
  • I know pregnant woman shouldn't lay or sleep on their stomachs, for very obvious reasons.  I'm not sure I realized the same about sleeping on your back.  I assumed once I got so large, I wouldn't want to.  I am normally a back sleeper and I'm realizing my changing body no longer likes this and I know I have to focus on sleeping on my side.  How do I know this?  It's the waking up in the middle of night when I have turned on my back and a feeling that I'm drowning.  I guess this is the normal feeling of reduce circulation due to the pressure of the baby and large uterus.  It's bizarre and scary and I'm working to convert to a side sleeper.  [I'm working to find a body pillow to help - propping a pillow under my head, another between my legs and another under my belly can be quite difficult in the middle of the night, especially when trying to switch sides]
  • 'Hot flashes' - I'm not sure if this is necessarily pregnancy related or the fact that it has been in the 90s lately.  All I know is that at dinner with friends Friday, I was fanning myself with a menu while one had goosebumps and another put on a sweatshirt because they were cold.  This isn't the first time either.  over the past few days, I've been getting bursts of being super hot.  Hormones much?
With all these changes and a few more, I still can't complain - I'm not huge and I'm still basically comfortable and can still sleep well.  I'll let you know when this starts to change.  HA!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails